Letizia Jaccieri and Reidar Conradi
History about OSS software work at NTNU:
Looks at various roles (provider, participant, integrator, user, customer). Mentions some skills: Technical comercial, organizational, creative.
More history. Reuse is now very different than before.
They have done s bunch of surveys on COTS. A patte
Forthcoming article IEEE software 2008 (ten facts about open source development)
Finding: In reviews of sprints in SCRUM the customer is very very seldom present. That is probably a mistake.
Metod for learing about OTS:
1. Ask someone on the office. 1b. search the net, download 3-6 canidates. No formal selection method. Quality is not a problem (?? why). Problems: Effort estinatiln, integration, debugging, customer non-participation, cliencing, comany policies, how to classify components. Ontologies are not stable at all.
It is methododically difficult to study open source projects. How do you analyze a project with 300 developers in 30 countries?
ITEA COASI PROJECT
Industry and academia. Shared internal development is a goal.
About 50% reuse and integrate OSS components.
Motivations for adoptions of OSS:
- Simplify developer´s jobs: High availability of information, pcomponents and their source code. Simple procurement.
- Reusable software assets: Increase productivity increase quality
- Reduced costs: Reduced development effort, no license fees.
- Evaluating util something "good enough" is found
- Tested further throug test integration and prototyping
- informal knowledge driven rpocess based on previous experience, recommendations, informal searches, surveilance of the OSS community.
Eskil Sundt: Case open standards (ARM)
- A masters project, single person one year. Development of a multip.latform graphics application Used ARM platform for embeded graphics.
- Used OpenVG (Open vector graphics for embeded systems. Target: Map intraces, scalable userinterfaces, e-book reaers,g ames and SVG viewers). SVG (We all know this ;) He was looking at an SVG viewer. OpenVG is built on the SVG model, but there are differences: SVG format, openvg is an API.
- He wrote a 20KLOC program calledSVG Tiny.
- Results: It workt nicely ;))
Letizia: Open soure art project.
Cases (all on sourceforge)
- Open Digital Canvas project
- Soonic Onyx Project (mobile phones)
- The Flyndre project